Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Nothing like standing in line and listening to insults

Well , once again, last Wednesday, i found myself at my home away from home. The Miami VA. I had an appointment at 2 for Rheumatology. Well, i sat there and waited and waited and waited. Finally, another gentleman got up and went to the counter and simply asked what might be taking so long? Well, all of a sudden, there was a hustle and bustle of activity. See, the nurses hadn't even checked our blood pressure yet or gone through our pain questionaires.
So, i got called back and one of the nurses was talking about the guy who had asked the question. "It's called patience," she yelled out. I was thinking to myself what alot of nerve after they have been sitting back there on their asses for 2 hours doing who knows what. This is what the VA employees do though. They will talk about a veteran like a dog behind their back.
They were pissed because i guess they were hoping we would be cancelled because heaven help them if they had to stay past 4 to wait on a veteran to see the doctor.

So i see the doctor and lo and behold, i am having a lupus flare. My liver is enflamed. Well, i have only been trying to tell them that for over 6 months. My pain keeps me up at night. I hadn't slept in two nights. I had joint stiffness, malaise, fatigue, and a lovely malar butterfly rash on my face.
They diagnosed me in 1997 then changed it to RA in 2000 then in 2005 they said it was psychosomatic. All i know is on Mar 14, 1991 i received 25 vaccines and after i received 2.5 cc of gamma globulin in each but cheek, i was in severe pain from that day forward. So to make a long story short, i had to go to the pharmacy to get prednisone.
So i am waiting in line forever to get up to the window. The closer i get the more abuse i hear coming from the pharmacist. One Hispanic lady went up and asked for her Sin--throid. The pharmacist said "There is no Synthroid for you."
The lady said, "The doctor put it in yesterday."
The pharmacist said: He didn't put it in yesterday, last week, last month, last year.
I was thinking to myself, Yea i get the point. Another asshole with an attitude. Excuse my language.
So the next man goes to the window , an older Hispanic man, who appears to have had surgery on his arm. He says "I have been waiting for 45 minutes and i need to take a taxi to Port St Lucie and i need to get my meds."
Well the pharmacist said"Did you see your name on the tv screen?" The vet responded "No, but i need to take a taxi." So by this time, i am getting mad because the dude behind the counter had an attitude problem. So i said out loud" I am sick and tired of these people having an attitude with veterans."
So it came to be my turn and wheni got to the window I just said: Parker xxxx, i amhere for prednisone. I looked that dude in the eye and he must have known not to say anything to me.

Shame that our veterans are treated this way. American public doesnt have a clue.
More onthis same topic in the next blog. Please excuse the typos, i amhaving lupus flare.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, I found your blog through twitter. I feel for you and the position you are in. I am a medically retired member of the Canadian Forces, and we are not treated any better up here. It is sad...and makes you wonder why we need to be treated like that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They, the VA workers,think we want something for free or as my exboyfriend called me a malinger.

    ReplyDelete